Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Development
Standard Operating Procedures – or SOPs – are written documents or Work Instructions that detail all of the steps involved in a procedure or process. They formally document a company’s operations, down to the finest detail.
In most companies, individual SOPs are handled in isolation, usually by functional unit, creating a departmental “silo effect,” as well as overlap and inconsistencies between SOPs. Furthermore, traditional approaches to SOP development, at best, can only capture explicit knowledge related to the activities in question – that is, information that is already documented and formalized elsewhere. The problem with these approaches is evident when you consider that not all organizational knowledge is explicit: tacit knowledge refers to the informal and undocumented information that plays a role in your company’s day-to-day operations. It includes the skills, experience, and expertise that are often difficult to locate and formalize. When tacit knowledge is left out of SOP documentation, key information and decision-points can be overlooked. The resulting representation of company activities is both inaccurate and incomplete, and can have serious implications for employees who rely on precise information in order to perform effectively.
To overcome these challenges, Interfacing professionals go beyond traditional attitudes to SOP development by taking a holistic, hands-on approach to discovering and documenting your SOPs. Consistent with our methodical, proven approach to process discovery, our SOP Development methodology is process-centric and cross-functional; it is designed to reduce inconsistency and overlap both within and between company procedures. By involving process Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and employees across the organization, our team is able to capture and formalize tacit knowledge so that it is documented and transferable as your organization evolves.
- Have your SOPs expertly mapped down to the procedural level using BPM best-practices.
- Improve knowledge retention to respond to the challenges of “baby boom” generation retirement and through periods of employee turnover.
- Augment your employee training materials with detailed process maps that will walk them through their daily tasks.
- Facilitate IT application selection and deployment (e.g. CRM, ERP) to ensure that you select the solution that meets the process needs of your enterprise, and accelerate the transition to Workflow with clearly mapped processes.
- Enhance corporate governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC) with visible audit trails by defining Roles and process ownership down to the procedural level. Contact us for more information on BPM for GRC.
- Get access to a team of BPM professionals, including a core team, support staff, and dedicated Interfacing Project and Account Managers, to make sure that your project runs smoothly.
|Get more information on the timeline, deliverables, and pricing for the SOP Development program|
|Chat live with an Interfacing representative|
|Automate your processes with Workflow Development|